Nature of Work Benefits Supplemental Questions
ALL INQUIRIES SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AT
MBPDRECRUITMENT@MIAMIBEACHFL.GOV OR VIA TELEPHONE AT
General work as a City sponsored student enrolled in a basic
recruit training program at one of the Criminal Justice Standards
and Training Commission (CJSTC) certified training schools.
Illustrative Examples of Essential Duties:
- Timely attends and participates in all lectures,
demonstrations, applications, formations, inspections,
examinations, and any other gatherings conducted as a part of Basic
Law Enforcement Courses and remedial training.
- Studies, comprehends, retains, and successfully demonstrates
attained knowledge and skills garnered from all lectures, texts,
material, data, and any other sources of information on subjects
presented by the institute.
- Successfully demonstrates proficiency in all the designated
high liability areas.
- Maintains a healthy physical condition and demonstrates the
skills necessary to agilely accomplish arduous and aqueous tasks,
goals, assignments, etc.
- Adapts and adheres to the conduct and attitudes required by
training advisors, instructors, and administrators of the basic
recruit training program at the CJSTC certified training
- Is appropriately attired at all times as designated by the
institute's Trainee Orientation Manual.
- Performs and submits related work as required.
- Be at least 21 years of age at time of application.
- Bachelor's degree must be obtained by time of hire.
- Three (3) years active duty Military Service with an Honorable
Discharge at the time of application will be considered for those
candidates who do not have a Bachelor's Degree.
- Be a United States citizen prior to selection for
- Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor
involving perjury or a false statement, or have received a
dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United
States. Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo
contendere to or is found guilty of any felony or of a misdemeanor
involving perjury or a false statement is not eligible for
employment or appointment as an officer, notwithstanding suspension
of sentence or withholding of adjudication. Notwithstanding this
subsection, any person who has pled nolo contendere to a
misdemeanor involving a false statement, prior to December 1, 1985,
and has had such record sealed or expunged shall not be deemed
ineligible for employment or appointment as an officer. Fla. Stat
- Must pass State guidelines as determined by the Florida
Department of Law Enforcement for entrance into the police academy.
Currently an individual must pass a Commission-approved Behavioral
Abilities Test (BAT) prior to entering a basic recruit training
- Complete a course of basic recruit training approved by the
CJSTC unless exempt and achieved an acceptable score on the officer
certification exam in accordance with Florida Statutes. Fla. Stat.
943.13(9) and (10).
- Comply with Section 943.135, Florida Statutes, and CJSTC
continuing training and education requirements. Fla Stat.
- Possess a valid Florida driver's license.
- Current City of Miami Beach employee and in good standing (2
- Current City of Miami Beach resident (1 bonus point)
- Emergency Medical Technician and/or National Registry Emergency
Medical Technician certification (1 bonus point)
- Master's Degree or higher from an accredited college or
university (5 bonus points)
Please make sure to reference the applicant handbook section on
bonus points and submit the required supporting documentation. If
you fail to submit the require documentation at the time of
application, bonus points will not be awarded.
You MUST download the following documents: (click on the titles
of documents to download)
1) Applicant Information Handbook - important information and
detailed description of the application and selection process.
Applicants are responsible for reading, knowing and complying with
all the information provided in the handbook.
2) Agreement to Urinalysis - MUST be signed and submitted with
3) Documentation Checklist - To assist with the application
APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED IN THEIR ENTIRETY.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED WITHOUT PROPER REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WILL
BE DEEMED INCOMPLETE AND WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
For all positions:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with elected officials, coworkers, the press the
general public and members of diverse cultural and linguistic
backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability,
political affiliation, gender identity or sexual orientation.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty
and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of all
state, county and city ethics and conflicts of interest policies.
Strong understanding of ethical behavior is required.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance
For all technical, professional, supervisory and managerial
- Ability to develop innovative and creative solutions to issues
consistent with the City's strategic plan.
Applicants must detail any related work experience on the
application or risk disqualification. It is the applicant's
responsibility to update their NEOGOV profile with work experience,
education, certifications and personal contact information when
submitting each application, failure to do so will result in
ineligibility. City of Miami Beach employees must reflect their
current position and detail their work experience on the
application to avoid being disqualified.
Veterans Preference: Veterans Preference is awarded in
accordance with Florida State Statute 295.07. If veteran's
preference is being claimed, it must be indicated on the
application form and proper documentation, including all forms
DD-214 (either Member 2 or Member 4), as well as the final
Department of Defense Disability Letter (dated within one year)
must be submitted with the application.
All qualified applicants will be required to undergo an oral
panel interview. The passing score for the oral interview will be
70%. The dates for the oral interview and additional information
will be provided to you at a future date.
Applicants who successfully pass the oral interview will be
invited to participate in a written exercise. Details regarding the
written exercise and instructions will be provided on the day of
the exercise. The written exercise will be graded as pass or
PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST (PAT):
- Applicants will be required to submit a PAT once they have been
assigned a Background Investigator. The Background Investigator
will provide details regarding the PAT. Do NOT submit a PAT at time
Refer to the Applicant Information Handbook for details.